The Southeastern Minnesota Arts Council administers grant monies allocated by the Legislature of the State of Minnesota earmarked for arts-related projects as well as by the McKnight Foundation for individual artists. Individuals and groups seeking to apply for funding are strictly held to the following qualifications.
- The applicant is located within the eleven-county SEMAC region of southeastern Minnesota: Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha, and Winona Counties.
- The primary focus of the project must be the fine arts, i.e., the development, education, performance or showcasing of the arts.
- The project must include a public component to benefit the citizens of southeastern Minnesota.
- The project or fiscal year must begin at least 60 days after the grant deadline. Further, the project or fiscal year must be completed within 12 months of the project start date.
- Arts organizations must be nonprofit, with Articles of Incorporation on file with the State of Minnesota.
- Arts organizations must have, or be in the process of applying for, federal income tax 501(c)(3) status from the IRS. Organizations still in the process of receiving tax-exempt status must use a Fiscal Agent, within Minnesota that is both tax-exempt and a nonprofit organization, who has agreed to receive and disburse SEMAC funds.
For a printable version of the complete grant eligibility requirements, including funding restrictions, please download Guidelines. This document also summarizes the different categories of grants SEMAC offers.