General Operating Support
Each fiscal year a pool of money is set aside for General Operating Support, and the application window opens on July 1. Qualified small and medium arts organizations may request funding to support staffing and salaries, equipment purchase, facilities and maintenance, or other administrative expenses. Matching funds are not required. The SEMAC Board of Directors will consider applications on a case-by-case basis until the funding pool is exhausted.
Grantees sign contractual agreements, write letters of thanks to state legislators, and submit interim and final reports, as monitored by the Board of Directors. The Board will use this information along with online applications when considering future funding for a particular organization, which may include $4,000 for the second fiscal year without submitting a new proposal.
In addition to the general eligibility requirements for SEMAC funding, arts organizations meeting all of the following conditions are invited to apply for General Operating Support.
- Been in existence and offering programming for at least three years.
- Established federal tax exempt 501(c)(3) or equivalent status.
- Total operating expenses less than $166,000 in the previous year.
- Within the past two fiscal years has not received Operating Support from the Minnesota State Arts Board (MSAB).
- No overdue or unapproved final or interim reports from a previous SEMAC grant.
SEMAC General Operating Support funds may not be used for programming expenses or requested for any of these other expenses.
- out of state travel or activities that take place outside the state of Minnesota
- copyright or other legal fees
- benefits, fundraisers, or re-granting money
- hospitality costs (for example, food or beverage costs for capstone events)
- endowment funds
- use in feasibility studies or lobbying
- capital improvement or construction, or purchase of real property