Individual Artist Grants for Emerging Artists
The Emerging Artist category provides $2,500 in financial support to artists who are at a stage in their artistic development where they have some evidence of achievement but do not have a substantial record of accomplishment. The term “emerging” does not refer to an artist’s stylistic evolution but to the artist’s accomplishments and recognition. Artists at this stage are developing their talents and may have been noticed locally. Many artists remain in this category for their entire artistic lives.
Proposals must support specific project goals and are encouraged from artists in all disciplines with the following restrictions.
- You must be at least 18 years of age on the grant deadline.
- You must be a full-time resident of the SEMAC Region and reside in Minnesota for the duration of the grant project.
- You may not apply for an Emerging Artist Grant if you have ever received an Established or Advancing Artist Grant from SEMAC.
- Your project cannot be related to class, course or degree requirements.
- You are not eligible if you have received recognition such as:
- Solo exhibition in a major metropolitan area (i.e., Twin Cities, Chicago);
- Published a book;
- Music composition funded by a foundation or commissioned by a group;
- Work professionally produced by a recognized theatre or dance company.
- Grant funds may not be used to pay for supplies purchased or expenses incurred before the start date.
- Recipients of previous SEMAC grants are not eligible to apply for funds over the next two consecutive fiscal years (i.e., application may only be made as often as every three years).
- Further, recipients who have overdue final or interim reports from a previous SEMAC grant are not eligible.